Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jackets In College: Samford Is Next Step For Bosshardt, March 15, 2001



By Joe Williams of The Sentinel Staff
March 15, 2001

LEESBURG -- When Leesburg's Lindsey Bosshardt's senior soccer season began late in the fall, playing soccer in college was not high on her priority list.

But as the season's games began dwindling away, continuing her playing career became more important.
On Wednesday, Bosshardt signed with the Samford University's women's soccer program, where she will join former Leesburg teammate Anna Braun.

"At the beginning of the season, it [playing in college] wasn't too important, but at the end of the season, I couldn't picture myself not playing soccer,'' Bosshardt said. "Soccer is something I have always done. I started playing soccer in seventh grade and I have played every season since.''


Despite playing as a defender for much of the season, Bosshardt still scored six goals and had three assists this season. She may eventually move into the role of a midfielder in college.

"She will do great at Samford wherever they play here,'' Leesburg Coach Emily Morgan said. "She transitions easily and I have confidence that she will do excellent. She is really looking forward to playing in college and she definitely has what it takes to be successful.

"She is a very well-rounded player, with one of her main strengths being her versatility.''

Bosshardt made a trip to Samford, located in Birmingham, Ala., in September and has been there to watch a few games.

Though she also considered going to Florida State University and Clemson solely for academic purposes, Samford always was her first choice.



It is a choice that her mother agrees with.

"I'm thrilled it all worked out,'' Sally Bosshardt said. "She absolutely fell in love with the campus when she visited there in September. I think she would have gone there even if she wasn't playing soccer.''

Though Bosshardt went into this season with some questions about whether she wanted to play soccer in college, her mother said she started working toward that goal a couple of years ago.

"I really think in her sophomore year she started to work to try to bring herself up to the level to play soccer in college,'' Sally Bosshardt said. "She is very competitive.''

Having Braun, a close friend and former high school teammate, playing for Samford helped Bosshardt in her decision to go to Samford. She earned a spot on the team through videotapes she sent to Coach Barry Spitzer.

Samford finished last season with an 8-8-1 regular-season record.

"I am really excited about it,'' Lindsey Bosshardt said. "I have visited there and watched a couple of games. I sent him some tapes and he [Spitzer] called me and told me I was on the team.''

RESOURCES
 



No comments:

Post a Comment